Professional Burnout?? Are You One Of The Walking Zombies…
As a professional recruiter who has been working and recruiting professionals in the environmental, engineering and construction industries for over 18 years now at Webuild Staffing, professional burnout has become a major issue among working professionals in today’s marketplace.
For the diehard workaholics out there believe it or not relaxing and taking a vacation can be a good thing. Most employers would want you to be working all the time, but you may not realize how advantageous it can be to take a few weeks off. Studies have shown slowing down decreases the chances of professional burnout and improves your overall health and work / life balance greatly.
Here are a 5 tips that will allow you to recognize the signs of professional burnout so you can take action before you or someone you know burns out.
1. Are you always tired, exhausted, stressed out or just walking around in a daze going through the motions at work? If so, you are probably at that burnout state. Most people get to a point where fatigue caused by long term stress, can cause health problems and make you more prone to sickness.
2. Memory Problems? Are you forgetting things? Have too much going on at one time? Stress can lead to cognitive memory problems. So if you keep forgetting things it’s time to slow down.
3. Eating a lot of fast food? Not exercising? Sleeping way too much? Not going to the doctor or dentist for basic checkups? You’re not taking care of the most important thing, yourself!! If your work schedule, projects and responsibilities are putting your personal health at the back of the line. It’s time to stop and take stock of where you are.
4. Thinking about work all the time? Stressed about deadlines? Not relaxing while at home? Becoming less productive? If you’re beginning to feel isolated and overwhelmed by your responsibilities then you may be showing signs of depression and extreme burnout. It’s time to reach out to family, co-workers and friends for help. Continuing along in this state will greatly affect your long-term health and career.
5. Is your family life suffering? Are you having marriage problems? Are you spending most of your time at work? There is a reason, you are burned out. It’s time to take stock of your life and get things back on track. Even if it means changing jobs, taking a sabbatical or a prolonged vacation.
Professional burnout is one of the greatest problems in today’s workplace. The most successful professionals are the ones that have the abilities to balance the demands of life, recognize burnout and prioritize their responsibilities to make sure they are able to maintain a balanced life. Even if it takes asking for assistance or help with projects.
Michael DeSafey is a leading executive recruiter for professionals in the construction, engineering and environmental industries. He is currently the President of Webuild Staffing (www.webuildstaffing.com). To learn more about Michael or Follow his Blog please visit www.michaeldesafey.com